Friday, October 4, 2013

LeSpork Bass Prototype - Working For the Weekend

Everyone's watchin' to see what you will do
Everyone's lookin' at you, oh
Everyone's wonderin' will you come out tonight
Everyone's tryin' to get it right, get it right


Another busy work week had taken its toll on me, and I was ready for this weekend.  Throughout the day, my thoughts kept wandering to all of the guitar projects I had to work on!  First was reassembling this bass neck.


There were just a few places along the neck and fretboard that didn't feel flat, and there was some residual glue that needed to be cleaned off of the contact surfaces.


A few passes with a sanding block, first with some #100 grit and then with some #200 grit, took care of all that.


Since the fretboard and neck see a lot of bending stresses, I opted to add some surface area to the glue joint.  With a few of passes of the edge of a drum sander on my rotary tool, I cut a pair of grooves in the long direction of the back of the finger board.


The grooves end up parallel to and in between the edges of the neck and the truss rod.


Just in case there would be a need to take the fretboard off again, I used hide glue to reattach it to the neck.  Hide glue releases easily with heat, and has a very short working time.  I had to move quickly, so I didn't take any pictures during the reassembly process.  After putting on a dozen clamps and wiping down the squeeze-out glue with a wet rag, I left the neck sitting on the workbench, to let the glue set up overnight.  There are a few other projects I'd like to get to on the workbench over the weekend, so I'll move this neck to another spot in the light of day, and allow the glue to thoroughly for a few days before removing the clamps. 

No comments:

Post a Comment