Like a fine wine, some musical instruments get better with age. Sometimes, due to age, neglect and abuse, older guitars needs some work and TLC to be returned to playable condition. This blog documents some of the work I have performed on musical instruments for myself and others over the years.
Sunday, September 22, 2013
LeSpork Bass Prototype - Cuts Like a Knife
Now it cuts like a knife
But It feels so right.
While waiting for the weather to cool off again, I decided to order a replacement nut for this neck. As the headstock is black, and I had already bought a set of black tuners for her, I thought a black tusq nut would look and feel so right. So, I took some measurements and found one on eBay. When the nut arrived, I was disappointed to find it was not wide enough to fill in the dado.
Although I could have filled in the gap, the dado is only about 3/32-inch deep into the headstock, so leaving even the slightest gap from side to side would result in a weak joint. With the amount of tension carried in a set of bass strings, I wanted to be sure the the nut fit snugly into the slot. So, back to eBay I went, only to find that no one was offering any black nuts in the size that fits this neck. Instead, I ordered an ivory-colored plastic nut. With some light sanding, the ivory nut fit the slot, as snug as a bug in a rug.
Since the crack along the back of the neck behind the lower frets did not appear to be very deep, a little bit of glue and some matching wood should be enough to fill it in. I prepared a workstation by taping down a pair of furring strips to a scrap 2x6. I intentionally left a gap between the two furring strips, to allow the neck to bend slightly from clamping pressure.
Using some more tape, I attached the neck to the workstation.
Using a hobby knife, I trimmed open the crack just enough to be able to insert some wood slivers.
After filling the crack with glue, I filled in the opening with wood. The truss rod channel was a good donor for this material.
I filled the crack enough so that some wood stood proud of the area, to be trimmed flush later.
Using a caul with a pair of clamps, I applied some pressure to the repair and left the glue to dry overnight.