Like a fine wine, some musical instruments get better with age. Sometimes, due to age, neglect and abuse, older guitars needs some work and TLC to be returned to playable condition. This blog documents some of the work I have performed on musical instruments for myself and others over the years.
Sunday, March 31, 2013
Jay Turser JTA-Flag300 - Secret O' Life
But since we're on our way down
We might as well enjoy the ride.
After waiting two days, the hide glue holding the fretboard to the neck had dried. I removed the clamps and cleaned off the excess glue with a razor blade. With the difficult parts of the repairs behind me, what was left to be done on This Old Guitar would be easy. I was looking forward to some reassembly and hearing what this one sounded like again. Good timing, it was the beginning of the weekend.
I reattached the neck to the body with some turns of a screwdriver, and grabbed a long ruler for checking her centerline and neck set angle.
The centerline and set angle looked good so far, so I moved on to reinstalling her nut and tuners.
After the glue holding on the nut had dried, it was finally time for a new set of strings. I grabbed a fresh set, her bridge pins and a peg winder.
After playing her unplugged for a few minutes, I borrowed my sons amp and checked out the variety of sounds she produced as an acoustic electric. The controls on her preamp were smooth and easy to use. After a half hour of playing, I noticed no difference in playability, and she kept in tune rather well for having a new set of strings. So far, it was a lovely ride.
The centerline was off by about 1/32inch at the 12th fret, and the12th fret action was a
tad high for my taste. Those are both easy enough to adjust with a
little shimming and sanding in the neck joint. Her neck was showing a slight amount of relief with zero torque on her truss rod, just where I wanted it to be. Satisfied for the time being, I left off her truss rod cover and neck heel finish plate until I could get back to shimming the action and set angle. I set her aside to see how she held up after a few hours with full string tension.