Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Jay Turser JTA-Flag300 - 4th of July, Asbury Park


Sandy, the fireworks are hailin' over Little Eden tonight...


Last weekend, I started in on reshaping the neck side of the dovetail joint.  Still somewhat new to using a chisel, it was only about twenty minutes before I had a minor flesh wound and had to call it a day.  After a brief visit to an urgent care, I waited a few days for the heat to let up enough to continue working in the shed.  On the way home from work yesterday, I picked up some Kevlar work gloves and a bottle of honing lubricant to use with my chisel.


After clamping the neck down to the work surface, I used some Dremel attachments and a half round file to get some the rough work done.




Even using proper chiseling technique, I managed to add some new character marks to the bass side of the neck at the heel between the 13th and 14th fret.  I'll fill them in with some matching wood and refinish the area after I finish the repairs to the neck joint.



Happy Fourth of July 2012 from This Old Guitar!


No comments:

Post a Comment